Making Time For God

Author: Unknown Genre:
Rating


MAKING TIME FOR GOD
 My heart says of you, "Seek his face!"
Your face, Lord, I will seek. (David, Ps.27:8)
One of my bad habits involves turning on my email early each morning and spending way too long checking my inbox. Why is it a bad habit? Because, instead of spending time with God first, I cozy up to my computer and focus on what's temporary rather than eternal.
It takes more than inner yearning (which I believe is the Spirit wooing us back from our busy, dry lives) for us to enjoy God. It takes a conscious decision of our will to follow through on the words, "Your face, Lord, I will seek."
For God to work inner transformation and produce a deeper sense of His presence in us takes time and some level of self-discipline. But it is possible even for those of us who are more spontaneous free-spirits! We CAN discipline our bodies and our time, and Scripture tells us God IS ABLE to change us. I know it's true because I've experienced it in many ways. But I'm also aware of many more areas that need some applied discipline before I see needed changes!
Photo : Write "Amen" if you have a relationship with JESUS!
On a recent Sunday I decided to practice some self-discipline. I wanted to see if I could break my addiction to checking email. Instead of merely avoiding looking at my inbox for the day, I determined to not even turn on my laptop. I knew I'd been responding like Pavlov's dog to every ring from my email, so I deliberately fasted: I gave up one thing to give time to another. That's my definition of fasting, whether it's food or anything else that has control over me.
As the hours went by I was amazed. By committing my little exercise to the Lord, I discovered that I could control myself and spend more time in His presence. I discovered that I don't have to allow email, or any other habit, to gobble up the hours in my day. For someone who isn't naturally self-disciplined, this was a major victory! Now I'm pumped to try something a little more challenging to help me grow some more.
How about you? Is there a habit, attitude, or hard-to-break behavior that needs kicking out of yourlife? It won't happen by magic, but it can be overcome if you ask God for help and follow through with your part.
Paul urged Timothy: "Discipline yourself for the purpose of godliness" l Timothy 4:7
Peter also exhorts: "Grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ" 2 Peter 3:18
As you think about stretching your faith, consider these disciplines that draw you into God's presence and help you grow:
• Pray to become increasingly intentional about making time for God--to talk to him, listen quietly for his direction, correction, encouragement and words of love.
• Aim to grow daily by thinking about one way Jesus treated people, spoke to them, noticed and cared for them, then ask him to live that kind of life through you at home or work.
• Invite the Holy Spirit to fill you daily so you run (which takes determination and effort) with perseverance (not giving up when the way gets tough and discouraging) the race set before you by a God who wants your life to be abundantly fruitful (Heb. 12:1, John 15:4-16).
Let me ask you, what will you take time from, maybe every day or just once a week, in order to spend it in God's presence?

Leave a Reply